Thursday, May 26, 2005

 

Good gifts

I'm constantly amazed that people have talents and aptitudes. From a purely naturalistic standpoint, it wouldn't be completely surprising if some people were better at moving quickly and gracefully, as that could help with hunting or escaping from a hunter. But lots of people have talents that suit them especially well for stuff we've made up. Some people have just what it takes to be computer programmers. Others, while they might be generally athletic, are perfectly suited for volleyball. I mean, really, when you think about what the average height of humans was two or three centuries ago, what is the chance that now you'd get a bunch of guys who are over 6'6" and have the ability to arc a ball through a hoop?

But what astounds me even more than people's talents is their preferences. I'm constantly in wonder over the fact that people have preferences, and seem to have them from very early on. Some babies go for apricots, others for the green beans. There's a little boy in our church who from the time he was old enough to get away from his parents' supervision has been trying to get to the drum set. He's drawn to it. Other people want to work with cloth, or make food, or sculpt, or be with animals. And when aptitudes and preferences correspond, as it seems they frequently do, that's a really good gift.

I think about this a lot when I drum. I don't remember how I came to pick drums as my band instrument back in middle school. I think it was just an offshoot of piano--I was looking for something familiar, and figured I could do xylophone or something. And I didn't stay with band long or pick up much skill during that time, and then nothing with drums for years and years. Then an opportunity arose, and armed with half-forgotten basics and whatever natural aptitude I have, I started playing. It's been enough that I haven't gotten fired from the worship team yet. I enjoy it, and I think I'm just designed to do it. Not professionally or even in a noteworthy way, but good enough to serve, at least for here and now. And that's a pretty good gift.

Comments:
But what it takes to be a computer programmer might be exactly what it took to invent tools, the wheel, velcro, etc... just a new application for a practical skill.

Preferences, I think, are largely connected to one's "multiple intelligence" (intellectual areas of strength or weakness such as spacial relations, words, numbers, etc.). The thing that makes it baffling, I think, is that these aptitudes don't always lend themselves to something obvious.

A person with a math aptitude may very well become a poet, if only for the allure of its formal restrictions... very tricky stuff, though... I agree.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?