Friday, June 24, 2005

 

Scary Story

Yesterday my wife and I went to a nearby grocery store. We got up to a checkout line with nobody in it. The cashier appeared to be a young woman, but she had her back to us, and all I cared about was nobody in line ahead of us. So I quickly started flinging our groceries up onto the belt, and the cashier turned around.

Cashier: Hello.
Me: AHHHH! Please don't eat my brains!

Okay, I didn't actually say that, but I wanted to. I did come very close to making noise when I saw her. She had the scariest makeup I have ever seen. I'm glad Jill was with me, because it allowed me to confirm later that the makeup was very, very frightening. Jill also said that she didn't think it was accidental--it didn't look to her like the makeup was applied poorly, just too much, too dramatic. Seriously, if I'd had something in my hand, I would have dropped it.

When my little sister reached the age where she wanted to do such things, she ask my mom if she could start wearing makeup. My mom said, "Only if Pop can't tell." I think that's good advice. I'd be happiest if the entire makeup industry just went away and let people look how they look, but failing that, I wish those who choose to use makeup would aim for a target of using it too subtly to be noticed.

On the other hand, my heart got a good workout yesterday, which I don't usually expect from a grocery store trip.

Comments:
Me without my make-up is also a pretty frightening experience. I've had to quit the eyeshadow (I appear to be allergic) but without the foundation? Scarey. I for one am glad for make-up.

Lo
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?