Sunday, July 31, 2005

 

Catch-up

I'm a bit overdue for a post here, so this will be a collection of odds and ends to get back on track.

First, if anyone ever tries to tell you that there's lots to do in International Falls, MN, they are lying. Perhaps if you have a boat or like to fish, there's enough to do. Otherwise, plan to drop by on your way through to somewhere else. Fortunately, a summer trip to Duluth is always a good idea.

I've stopped having not-ready-for-school nightmares. I still have some prep work to do but I'm having fun doing it.

My predictions about The Fantastic Four were dead-on, meaning that the movie was not. Depending on exactly how many times Johnny Storm said "Flame On!" I got either 8 or 9 out of 10. The one that was definitely wrong was #10--there was no "Herbie the Robot" joke. Sadly, the movie would have been better if there were.

That still doesn't make F4 the worst movie of the summer. There are many obviously worse movies that I have not gone to, and the worst movie I saw is still easily War of the Worlds. The reason it is more popular than F4 is that, in America, it is a far worse crime to be boring than to be offensive, distateful, and mean-spirited. As long as it is "exciting," okay!

For professional sports team mascot names, there's still nothing dumber than the New York Knickerbockers. But if Larry can take them all the way, nobody will care.

I'm sick of athletes who are already getting millions but want to get more millions using their families as a PR point. "I'm just trying to do what's best for my family." Oh really? Then carefully invest the millions you've already been paid, quit playing that dangerous sport, and spend your time being a father, jerk.

I understand that NASCAR drivers give great interviews and are good to their fans and mostly aren't jerks, and that driving a car at that speed for that amount of time is a really hard thing to do, but I still don't want to watch it.

I do want to watch the NFL, once we get past the pre-season nothingness. In the meantime, a local station is showing Canadian football on Saturday nights. It's better than car racing or baseball.

Off to drum in a few minutes. YAY!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?