Thursday, October 27, 2005

 

Those tricky protocols

Took me an extra attempt to get connected this morning. The first time, I got an error message that said, "Your computer and the remote computer could not agree on PPP protocols," which makes it sound like they're involved in some tense cease-fire negotiation.

Remote computer: OK, I'll give you access to the Internet, but there are going to be some pop-ups.
My computer: No way. My user is very strict about this.
Remote computer: Well, if you can't show us some flexibility, I just think this whole thing is pointless. Do you want access or not?
My computer: Look around! You let all these other computers have access. Why am I any different?
Remote computer: We're not talking about them, we're talking about you.

My misunderstanding is a result of someone writing an error message that's intended to be somewhat user-friendly, at least compared to past generations of error messages:

Error (13)
"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down." (Death penalty for software.)
and the ever-helpful
Syntax error

But because error messages are still being written by computer geeks, they don't quite manage to communicate to ordinary humans. It may be a while before we get a message saying

Hey! I couldn't connect because that other computer and I aren't even talking the same language. Either it has a serious problem or I do. Trying again later is your best bet, or double-check that you're trying to connect me to the right computer.

Just as well. Computers are still striving to be awesome as much as helpful, and a little mystery goes a long way towards awe.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?