Monday, January 29, 2007

 

Commence blog dump

Warning: you are entering a low-coherence zone. Hardhats optional.

The first album by Hyper Static Union is currently blowing me away. Sample lyric from "Now That It's Over":

I was clinging to the very thing that held me down
Then I fell in love with the beast that kicked me around
I was defending the criminal that killed me
I was biting the hand that healed me

They're kind of Queen and kind of P.O.D. and I haven't figured out what else yet. They surprise me. My wife's comment was "We approve of the harmonies."


Apparently, Century College has a blog. Who knew? It's kind of fun--different comments by students. I don't know who's doing it--hadn't heard about it until the always-reliable writing center coordinator tipped me off.


I have been trying to think of a really witty way to express my disappointment with Pan's Labyrinth. I can't. It's just pretty dreary and not very fantastic at all. It may be a fantasy movie for people who don't like fantasy, at least based on how many critics are all excited about it. Fair warning is this: if you've seen a TV commercial for it, you've seen pretty much every cool fantasy image in it. The rest is all dreary real world war stuff. If that's your thing, enjoy.


I'm hopeful that Cornerstone, the church my wife and I attend, is headed into a time of deepening and maturity. They need to get strong quick, because Barry asked me to preach on March 18, so who knows what damage I'll manage to do. I know that yesterday we had two great worship services. For me, it was great 'cause I've finally gotten where I really can worship when I'm playing. It's partially about having achieved enough technical skill that I can play without constantly thinking about it, but it's more a matter of the heart.


My semester is off to a great start. I'm still trying to figure out how to get authentic questions, especially questions generated by students, at the center of all my classes, but that's an ongoing issue that I don't ever expect to "solve."


I'm behind on my work for the new comics class that starts in fall. I still hope to have it mostly in shape before the semester ends so I don't end up spending all summer working on it. But I need some dedicated time to put together documents and make final decisions about what projects to do and build the D2L site and all of that. And I've got a lot of comics to read.

My life is very painful, and you should pity me. ;)

Plus Century has adopted Persepolis as the college's "common book" for 2007-2008. The era of comics at Century College begins Fall 2007!

So I'd better go get ready for it.

Comments:
No one pities you for "having to read" comics. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and say it: We hate you for it. ;)

Also, way cool on preaching. Cymbaljack the Preacher Man.

And I am still depressed about Pan's Labyrinth. Booo.
 
Century College's blog is run by Andrew Gammons in Admissions. I know--I submit my blogs to him :) The problem is, being PSEO, I don't get any financial aid and stuff. Oh well, at least I get contacts in the Admissions department and get to say "I'm the only PSEO professional blogger at Century College" and that's something to brag about :D
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?